At Washington Elementary each spring we have a science fair. The fourth grade is focused on Science Fair Investigations. Each student has a packet to help them finish the project. The following sections need to be filled out:
- Question - Example - How does the temperature at which popcorn is stored (Room, Fridge, Freezer) affect the number of kernals popped. The question is always in Changed vs. Measured format.
- Prediction - Example - If the popcorn is stored at room temperature, then the amount of popcorn will be more.
- Changed Variable - Temperature at which popcorn is stored.Measured Variable - Number of kernals popped
- Controlled Variable - Number of kernals per batch, same method of cooking, same type of popcornMaterials list will be bulleted
- Data table - See Example
- Conclusion - This traditionally would be a four sentence paragraph. The first sentence would be stating whether the prediction was correct of incorrect. The second sentence would state the high data from the data table and its associated changed variable. The third sentence would state the low data and its associated changed variable from the data table. The last sentence would compare the high and low data and state the difference and a comparative term like faster, taller, smaller, more, less, etc.
- Summary - is taking the data table and writing it in sentence form.